Sunday, March 8, 2009

Discussion Cont'd: Grown Ass Men With Braids in Their Hair


I was looking for a pair of clippers online that were recommended for black hair when I stumbled across this gem of a blog post. ROFL! After reading the post and the comments I just felt like I had to make myself heard. So hear goes:

I used to wear braids when I was in college, but had to stop when I graduated and got a full-time job. It wasn't because they told me to or because I was scared that it would hold me back, it was because braids are expensive as hell! As a hairstyle, the amount of upkeep, time, and money required is way too costly for most adult men.

Once I was out of college, and on my own, it was kind of hard to find women that wanted to braid my hair. My gf (now wife) was working too, so it wasn't like she wanted to take 2 hours out of her day to do it while I played Madden. And paying someone to do it in a shop was mad loot at the time. Actually, I'm making decent money now and I still can't consider paying that much every week for my hair.

I think that's the point the OP was trying to get at. If an adult male is spending that kind of time and money on their hair then their priorities are crazy suspect. However, every adult male has some hobby or activity that is ridiculously unnecessary and immature. I know women would say the same thing about me and my video games and a few other things I'm into. But ladies, that's what makes us, well, us - it helps shape our identities.

I definitely think she was on to something but to use braids as a litmus test is a little ignorant. It's how well we're able to fulfill our adult responsibilities that determines how immature we are or aren't. Now if dude has braids, plays video games, and collects sneakers then you might have a problem...oh wait that's me if I don't get these clippers soon...hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment